First United Methodist Church of Bloomfield
Saturday, October 21, 2017
Open Minds, Open Hearts, Open Doors

Church History

 
     Our church originally began as a weekly Sunday School class in the old Rio Vista schoolhouse in early the 1950's.  Families that attended this weekly event, participated in Vacation Bible Schools, worship services (lead by visiting pastors or traveling evangelists), youth groups, and many other fun activities.
 
     On February 16, 1958, in an old 4-H building, thirty-five (35) people gathered with  Rev. Royce Herdnon, then Aztec First Methodist Church's pastor, to establish the Bloomfield First Untied Methodist Church.  On April 13, 1958 the church conducted its first Communion Service.  On June 8, 1958 the church held its official founding service lead by then District Superintendent R. L. Willingham.  On this founding day twenty-three (23) people joined the church by professions of faith and transfers from other churches.
 
     Before long, founding members realized that the current building was no longer suitable for their growing church.  Members began contributing to a Building Fund, a bank loan was secured, and Mr. and Mrs. Alex Hare donated the land.  On November 21, 1958 excavation work began on the rocky hillside, then called "Hare Hill".  The church was to be two-stories high, with a large room downstairs, and a large sanctuary upstaris.  On October 11, 1959 the church held its first servcies with forty-three (43) people in attendance.
 
     Over the years to come, the church and church members established themselves and begun functioning as a church.  In 1966, the Conference changed the arrangmenet of sharing a pastor with Aztec First United Methodist Church and, Bloomfield First United Methodist Chruch began its own charge.  However, in 1974, the charge was changed back to sharing pastors.
 
     During the 1980's and early 90's the church began to receive a face lift.  First, the exterior of the church originally exposed concrete were stuccoed.  Then a new roof was put on, along with a bell tower and new front doors.  Next the basement was remodled to accomodate more classrooms.  In 1991, construction began on a new fellowship hall, Hare Hall.
 
     In 1994, the church established a parsonage for the pastor.  1n 1995, the parsonage was opened and Bloomfield First United Methodist Church was once again its own charge.  During the late 1990's and into the 2000's the church members saw stain glass windows installed, a prayer chain establised, prayer blankets and quilts furnished, a food pantry, and a community "Free Lunch" program, called Loaves & Fishes.
 
     Many people have been truley blessed, and have blessed this church both in the pastors who have worked and taught here, and in the many people who have attended here and those "whose lives of humble service have preserved this institution to the day". 
 
     
     
  to worship with us!
Sunday School for all ages at 9:00 am
Sunday Worship Service at 10:00 am
 
 
NEW Women's Group
Every other Thursday
Starting Oct 5th 7:00 pm 
 
 
 
FCEC Women's Walk
Oct 19th - 22nd
Hesperus
 
Bizarre Bazaar
Saturday Oct 28th
9:00 am - 2:00 pm
 
NEW Worship Hours
Starting Oct 29th
10:30 am
 
Loaves and Fishes  
Every Monday  
(see calendar and newsletter for exceptions)  
12:00 am - 1:00 pm   
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
  
 
 
 
 
 
 

 
 
Click for Current Newsletter